Thursday, October 2, 2008

DeDutch

Summer 2004 – my wife and I travelled to Britain and France to explore London and Paris as well as catch up with friends at their home in the south of France. We were reading DaVinci Code, along with what seemed like half of Europe. On the bus, plane and trains we saw readers in 3 or 4 languages engrossed in the book. It was kind of surreal to be walking amidst the very sites and buildings that were featured in the book.


London Eye with Bronze Sculpture
The contrast of the lines and textures and eras of these two subjects was what I was looking for in this composition. In the foreground the imposing, classic and life-like lines of the bronze seem worlds apart from the steel and glass bullets circling in a futuristic version of a ferris wheel.

Courtyard at the Louvre
The chiselled sightline of these columns naturally drew my eye to the arched doorway at the far side of the courtyard. The chipped and weathered textures caught the afternoon light on their rough surfaces, in sharp contrast to the rain-slicked stones on the ground. I really wanted to get the shot without people, so my wife kept other visitors to one side. Not that I felt any pressure to hurry!

French Café
Strolling the streets anywhere in France you are bound to come upon a scene like this. It was mid-morning and the café was just setting up for lunch. I took this image to remember the inviting curve of the street, the muted tones of the stonework and the joy of being alive to appreciate the differences between this place and the drive-through where I usually pick up my coffee at home!