Monday, September 22, 2008

Ministry of Health




Legislature in Victoria
The bid and distinctive design of a previously unknown 25 year old (Frances Rattenbury) won a competition held among architects to determine who would design the Legislature. Submitting that bid must have taken guts! When it opened in 1898, Rattenbury’s ability was established and he went on to design the Empress Hotel in Victoria and the Vancouver Court House (now the Art Gallery). This presentation features 8 frames merged into a panoramic and eventually re-separated into panels. The texture of the golden stone responded well to treatments selected to increase the appearance of age. I also added grain and filtration, then converted the image to B&W and adjusted the toned.



Windy Baker
This much loved Pacific Northwest landmark is one of my favourite places to hike and is a strong visual reminder of why I choose to live in this part of the world. The sky is clear, offering a crisp outline of Baker and the surrounding peaks contrast with the dark foreground of evergreen hills. The seemingly still scene shows dramatic motion among the clouds swirling on the peak and face of the mountain thanks to what was probably a pretty stiff wind at that elevation. I shot this from a specific vantage on top of Sumas Mountain, creating a single panoramic from multiple images.



Eagle on the Coquihala
On cross Canada trip last winter I stopped at this spot, appreciating what a great view this was. As I got my gear out and prepared to shoot I thought to myself - the only thing missing was an eagle soaring through my line of sight. As my lens clicked into place and I selected my composition, I got my wish.




Science World – BC Place Vancouver Postcard
Vancouver’s skyline is an evolving blend of sharply formed, linear concrete edges contrasted against softer shapes and the rounded domes of sports venues. All of it beautifully set against the Pacific Ocean. The day I stopped to take this a caravan of movie industry vehicles was parked nearby. Members of the security crew were concerned that I might get unauthorized shots of the set so I was strongly encouraged to leave the area. I had only minutes to get what I wanted. This image was selected as “Photo of the week” and posted on the National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP) in August 2006. Quite an honour considering NAPP has 70,000 members.